Friday, November 6, 2009

Amendment to Paper Topic Description

Given the problem with your texts that was revealed yesterday (11/5) in class, I am going to amend the paper assignment I posted on this blog last Friday, Oct. 30th. PLEASE FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS GIVEN IN THIS AMENDMENT.

PAPER TOPIC AMENDMENT
11/6/09

Basically, I am simply going to eliminate the part of the original paper assignment which asked you to discuss how your articles relate to the treatment of that particular crime type in the text. So, I still want you to locate and read TWO articles about any type of crime within the broad categories of violent, property, and white collar crime. You might still consult the table of contents of these chapters to get some idea of particular types of crimes. I want you to discuss what you found in the articles about this crime type and address the question of the implications of what you've learned about this type of criminal behavior for policies to better control or reduce it.

Given that I am cutting out a part of the original assignment, I am going to reduce the suggested length of the paper. It should be roughly 5-6 pages. I STILL WANT XEROX OR PRINTED OUT COPIES OF THE ARTICLES ALONG WITH THE PAPER. And you will still be called upon to give a brief presentation in class on what you found. And I am going to stick with the original due date of THURSDAY, NOV. 19TH.
___________________________

Later today I am going to go over to the bookstore to see if I can't get you a full refund for this miserable excuse of a textbook. I honestly had no idea that the texts you bought were missing a good chunk of chapter 4, and had other problems which came to my attention yesterday. I will keep you advised.

ONE FINAL REMINDER: Several people still need to turn in essay II.

No comments: