Friday, October 16, 2009

Reminders & Note About Text's Treatment of Labeling Theory

First, don't forget to check out the previous post (for Oct. 15) which contains the family questions and answers that will be on the midterm exam coming up next Tuesday 10/20. Also, as I believe we agreed yesterday in class, I will make myself available for any questions you might have about the midterm on Monday 10/19 from roughly 1:00-2:30. Come by my office (Main 121). If several people show up at once, we may move to a nearby classroom, in which case I will put a note on my office door. Also, you can email me questions, but make sure to do so by Monday morning at the latest, and I'll try to respond as quickly as I can.

Second, in checking out the text's treatment of labeling theory last night again, I was a bit dismayed to discover that some of my classroom and blog comments were unwarranted. Hagan actually does a better job than I gave him credit for. He does address labeling as an independent variable (or causal factor). He also references Becker and the distinction between primary and secondary deviance. Although I would still argue he could have done a better job on that theory, I was off-base to accuse him of missing things he did not miss. Nonetheless, I believe the account of labeling theory I gave in my lecture notes on the blog is the one you should focus on for the midterm and it is still better than what is in the text.

AGAIN, CHECK OUT THE FAMILY QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS FOR THE MIDTERM IN THE PREVIOUS POST FOR OCT. 15TH. See you next Tuesday.

No comments: