Monday, September 27, 2010

First Family Activity: Crime Types Chapter Reports

As I mentioned last week, we are going to be dividing the class up into five "families" first thing tomorrow (Tues. 2/28). Once everyone knows which family they will be working with, we will then have each family choose a chapter in "Crime Types" to report on to the rest of the class, and we will do that on Thursday, 9/30, of this week. Since there will be five families, that means you will be covering five chapters in that book and I will cover the rest. Each family will then read and prepare an oral report on their chapter. Plan on taking roughly 30 minutes to cover each chapter and make sure that each family member contributes to this oral report. In these reports I want you to address the following:
(1) A general overview of the chapter, including the selected articles. Please DO NOT TRY TO COVER EVERYTHING because that would take too long. Focus on main points and a few supporting examples and statistics.
(2) Draw out at least a couple connections to the theories of criminal behavior that I am currently presenting in class lecture. And by "connections" I mean not only things which support a particular theory, but also points which may go against or contradict a theory.
(3) Identify implications of what you have learned about your crime type which may have some use in developing strategies for controlling or reducing that type of criminal behavior.
(4) Finally, I want each family to submit to me in writing (or via email) TWO SHORT-ANSWER EXAM QUESTIONS (and answers) which I may use on either our upcoming midterm exam or the final exam (if we cover that chapter after the midterm exam).

After I know which chapter each family will be reporting on (and I will give you some time in class to discuss how you will divide up responsibilites), I will make up a schedule and post it on this blog. I anticipate that we will not finish this exercise until after the midterm exam, which will be coming up in a few weeks. LET ME ALSO STRESS, HOWEVER, THAT EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR READING ALL OF CRIME TYPES, NOT JUST THE CHAPTER YOU HAVE TO REPORT ON. This activity is worth 7 points for all PARTICIPATING family members.
_______________________

ALSO CHECK THIS BLOG LATER TODAY FOR SOME LECTURE NOTES I PLAN TO POST ON BIOLOGICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL THEORIES

No comments: