Friday, September 14, 2007

Singing the Theories

I got the distinct impression yesterday that many of you were not too thrilled about the family activity I described yesterday in class. Some may think it an impossible task. But I don't think so, and you should also consider having some fun with this. So, to provide an example, Dr. Thurmond has allowed me to share with you one of his latest little ditties which was commissioned by one of his colleagues who eats lunch outside with Dr. Thurmond and others. It is entitled "Oeurve Hernie" and is sung to the tune of Wofford's anthem. The first two verses go:

On our bodies ' southern borders
Reared beneath our skin
Is the thing there that unites us
Makes us brothers, kin.

Oh Ye hernias
Abide forever
Not begotten, but made!
By lugging heavy Wofford benches
From the sun to shade.......

I hope that gives you some inspiration. We'll begin to talk about the theories I listed on the board next Tuesday (9/18). Here's the list again in case you missed it:
1. Deterrence
2. Rational Choice
3. Routine Activities
4. Biological
5. Psychological
6. Differential Association (or Social Learning)
7. Social Bonding or Control
8. Labeling (or Societal Reaction)
9. Social Disorganization
10. Anomie (or Strain)

I have read several of the comments posted already, and look forward to the rest of you posting your comments. Have a good weekend.

2 comments:

McKenzie said...

Dr. Thurmond's little ditty is the perfect example of what happens when too many sociology/humanities professors (heck professors in general) have lunch together...but in all seriousness, I am excited about this assignment. However, when it was originally assigned I thought we were going to be finding a song and comparing that to a theory. It could be my extreme inability to sing or rhyme in any fashion that is making me hesitant but if done right I think that it will be very amusing.

Dr_G said...

Dear McKenzie, First let me set the record straight regarding who commissioned Dr. Thurmond's ditty -- it was a member of our esteemed biology faculty. Also, you may also find an existing song that fits a theory. You don't necessarily have to make up a song.